In the late 1990s, a group of Italian researchers began debating on the systems thinking vision of social phenomena related to economics and business as well as to common life of individual and organizations.
The intriguing studies of Authors such Korzybski, Bogdanov, von Bertalanffy, von Foerster, and later Beer, Varela, Flores and others, were provoking a growing interest in the scientific community relative to concepts of systems thinking. This triggered the development of an innovative conceptualization of systems thinking in the social sciences: the Viable Systems Approach (VSA).
With the English edition of the book of Professor Gaetano Golinelli’s – who in recent years has systemized the fundamental concepts of (VSA) – there has been an extension of the approach to a multidisciplinary audience of international scholars. Acknowledgement of the validity of (VSA) relative to organisations and organisational behaviour has arrived from numerous researchers and scholars engaged in investigating individual and collective features of social organisation as a whole.
With the aim of disseminating the findings of research carried out to date and not least, in an effort to favour the interest and participation of an ever wider number of researchers and practitioners, as well as people attracted and intrigued by the conceptual trends of the Viable Systems thinking, ASVSA, a brainchild of Professor Sergio Barile, has been created and, hopefully, will give and receive a contribution by networking via this group.
Aims of the Association
The Association, pursuing exclusively purposes of utility and social solidarity and inspired by the principles of systems thinking, shall:
- share, develop and spread viable systems thinking;
- carry out education and promotion of culture and art in favor of disadvantaged people;
- create a national and international network of scholars interested in viable systems thinking, favouring various disciplinary fields;
- stimulate discussion and promote links with other scientific communities of systems research, rooted in systems thinking or inspired by the approach both on a national and international scale;
- contribute to the development of inter and cross-disciplinary knowledge in the context of the Movement for systems research;
- create and manage projects of research, studies etc., and the publishing of the same inherent to the Association’s aims;
- promote viable systems thinking for the governance and organizational management, promoting the development and disseminating of an ethical association code addressed to the search for consonance and resonance inspired by behavioural schemes and ethical principles and values;
- carry out activities to support and charities, both in Italy and abroad, in favor of other entities that operate directly in favor of persons deserving of social solidarity or in favor of non-profit or public institutions that operate in tehe sectors of social assistance, protection of civil rights, scientific research.